Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What legal actions am I suppose to take. Can I just sue for

Customer Question
damages, or will I have...
What legal actions am I suppose to take. Can I just sue for damages, or will I have to file a criminal suit?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/2/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Nate, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Nate, Lawyer
Thank you for your question!

Please provide me with a little more information so I can better help you. Give me a little more information about what happened, and also what kinds of damages are you trying to recover?

I'll get right back with you once I hear back.

Nathan Moore
sexual molestation from the age of 11. I am trying to convict him in a court of law for his crimes, and recieve compensation for all of the emotional scars.
How old are you now?
Just turned 21 06/19/88
That answer is "both". In Florida, the statute of limitations on intentional torts is 4 years. That would begin to run from your 18th birthday, so you have basically a year to file civilly. Secondarily, there is nothing to stop you from pursuing criminal charges.

My recommendation? Find a lawyer for the civil suit, and do both. The district attorney is your lawyer for the criminal charges.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Thanks!
Nathan Moore

What is intentional Torts?

Also what kind of lawyer I am I looking for?
Talk to a personal injury lawyer. An intentional tort is anything that has been done to you that is not negligent. In your case, it would be assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress, just to name two obvious ones that come to mind. An experienced Florida tort/personal injury lawyer ought to be able to take care of you.

Thanks!
any advice on where to look. When you google for a lawyer there are so many its hard just to choose one. This is a delicate case, will people turn me down?
It's possible people will turn you down. I would contact the bar association in the county you live in and tell them your situation. They will be able to give you more informed guidance than just running down the list on Google, Yahoo, etc.
Nate, Lawyer

All of these things happened in the state of Pennsylvania, but I currently live in Florida. What state should I file in. He live in Pennsylvania.
You would have to file in Pennsylvania where it occurred.
and what are the tort laws for Pa do i still have time?
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations in Pennsylvania for intentional torts is only two years. Criminal liability should not be a problem, however. You can discuss with a Florida attorney the prospects of filing suit in Florida - cases like this are, as you said, rather touchy.
Nate, Lawyer