How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What legal actions am I suppose to take. Can I just sue for

Customer Question

What legal actions am I suppose to take. Can I just sue for damages, or will I have to file a criminal suit?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question!

Please provide me with a little more information so I can better help you. Give me a little more information about what happened, and also what kinds of damages are you trying to recover?

I'll get right back with you once I hear back.

Nathan Moore
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sexual molestation from the age of 11. I am trying to convict him in a court of law for his crimes, and recieve compensation for all of the emotional scars.
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
How old are you now?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just turned 21 06/19/88
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
That answer is "both". In Florida, the statute of limitations on intentional torts is 4 years. That would begin to run from your 18th birthday, so you have basically a year to file civilly. Secondarily, there is nothing to stop you from pursuing criminal charges.

My recommendation? Find a lawyer for the civil suit, and do both. The district attorney is your lawyer for the criminal charges.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is intentional Torts?

Also what kind of lawyer I am I looking for?
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
Talk to a personal injury lawyer. An intentional tort is anything that has been done to you that is not negligent. In your case, it would be assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress, just to name two obvious ones that come to mind. An experienced Florida tort/personal injury lawyer ought to be able to take care of you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
any advice on where to look. When you google for a lawyer there are so many its hard just to choose one. This is a delicate case, will people turn me down?
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
It's possible people will turn you down. I would contact the bar association in the county you live in and tell them your situation. They will be able to give you more informed guidance than just running down the list on Google, Yahoo, etc.
Nate and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

All of these things happened in the state of Pennsylvania, but I currently live in Florida. What state should I file in. He live in Pennsylvania.
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
You would have to file in Pennsylvania where it occurred.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and what are the tort laws for Pa do i still have time?
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations in Pennsylvania for intentional torts is only two years. Criminal liability should not be a problem, however. You can discuss with a Florida attorney the prospects of filing suit in Florida - cases like this are, as you said, rather touchy.