Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

i went to court today for a driving under suspension case back

Customer Question
in 07.I just wanted it...
i went to court today for a driving under suspension case back in 07.I just wanted it all to be over and done so i plead guilty.Hoping for leniency .Instead the judge tacked on a 6 month suspension.Is there any way i can change my plea?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/1/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer

DearCustomer- You would have to file a motion to withdraw your plea. You could use the fact that you were not represented by counsel and did not understand your rights. I doubt the court would agree and you would then be forced to file an appeal with the court of appeals. all of this will cost quite a bit if you do get a lawyer and without a lawyer it will be virtually impossible to proceed.

A six month suspension is not a severe sentence for driving under suspension and if you are successful in changing your plea you run the risk of an even greater sentence and possible jail time since the court would not be bound by the original sentence of a six month suspension. I would be very careful trying to do this but you certainly have the right to try.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Yeah all that seems like alot of work.6 months is not that long but,my liscense has been suspended for two years.I went to court back in 07 and thought I settled everything.Come to find out I had 2 court appearances scheduled for the same day.I paid my reinstatement fees and went to get my liscense when the told my I still had two open cases.Is there anything possible i can do??

You can plead not guilty in the other two cases and request a court appointed attorney. Your original question was regarding changing a plea but if you haven't resolved the other case or cases you certainly can contest those.

Dave

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
That was the case i was speaking about.I pled guilty for those cases today.I really cant contest them because i wasnt valid.Is there anyway i would be able to get temporary priviles?

Most courts will grant privileges for work or school so you should certainly apply. You indicated you had cleared up your previous problems so you should be able to get privileges but it is ultimately up to the court.

Dave

Thank you sir.God Bless you in all that you do!Wish me Luck!
No problem and thanks for using our service. Good luck to you - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer