How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know of someone that has been telling me that have done I

Resolved Question:

I know of someone that has been telling me that have done I would think was illegal. Apparently this individual turned in a fraudalent document to the court which apparently the courts failed to notice and this individual recieved a favorable decision. As a law abiding citizen I cannot hold this knowledge any longer and I need to let someone know. I do not have evidence of that fraudalent document, it is already in the courts system. Can anything be done about it or maybe looked into?
Thanks for your time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You would have to start by contacting the Attorney General's office and making a report to them, since they have the authority to investigate such fraud complaints, as it is the filing of a public document purported to have legal efficacy. If you know the party's name who filed it, then you can also go to the clerk of court's office where it was filed and check the cases under that person's name and try to obtain a copy of the document, which is public record. Other than that, your only other recourse is to notify the other party in the action and then let them raise the issue with the court, since you would not have standing to do so in that case.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how can I find out which court it was filed at and is there a statue of limitations?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You would need to go to the clerk of court's office and have them check by name. On a fraud, it is based upon when the fraud is discovered, so at this point if it is just discovered, there is time for the court to take action.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am in Hawaii and I know for sure that it was filed in a court on Oahu. Can I go to a clerk of court office here on Maui and get that information?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I do not believe the courts are connected by computer like that, so you would likely have to call the court on Oahu and ask the clerk for the information you are seeking and then you would have to contact the state attorney general and let them deal with the matter.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you