How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently fired from my job at a private school as I.T.

Customer Question

I was recently fired from my job at a private school as I.T. Director/I.T. Administrator. During the process of me leaving they gave me the opertunity to copy off my personal files and folders from their systems. After 4 hours of copying the files they suggested i leave my laptop there so it could continue to copy the files overnight and they assured me they would not go through my laptop. Well they DID go through my personal laptop and copied all of my files along with deleting files they did not approve of. I also do network security auditing for another job and on my laptop has password XXXXX utlities.

What are my legal options to both make sure they delete any/all files they coped from my laptop and to make sure they do not try to use the network password XXXXX against me in a criminal case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

This is unreal, and illegal! This was your PERSONAL information. You can sue them for invasion of privacy, and ask the court at the same time for a permanent injunction of them using the data files in anything.

Unfortuantely - criminal probes are another matter - why would there be a criminal charge pending?

Tell me more so I can answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no active criminal probe as far as i am aware, however they are extreamly paranoid and concerned about me and my intentions. Since i had access to anything and everything they have extressed a concern i may have "booby trapped" stuff which is a complete lie and distortion of the truth. They belive i have backdoors and hacking software to gain illegal entry. None of these things are true. However since they copied my laptop that i use for my other job and it contains security auditing software that make me concerned over their reaction when they go through the copy of my laptop they made.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.

You have every right to sue them for invasion of privacy. Again, you can also ask for a temporary injunction in same case to stop them from ever leaking that info and to have every copy they have destroyed.

Would you like me to tell you how to do this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes please. also what type of charges would i be looking at if i was to hire your firm to write them a strongly worded letter asking them to destroy the information they copied and for them to swear to never leak that information or use it in a criminal probe?
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.

I can't take on clients through JA - I'm so sorry. I can say that a letter such as you want shouldn't cost more than $150.

ok, tell me what county you are in please in Delaware.

Also, please press ACCEPT. I'll still be here to answer all your questions and guide you through, but JA is based on mutual trust.
Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
New Castle County
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.

Here is the general court website for your county:

Depending on what type of loss you are claiming, it can be heard by different courts - use this chart to figure out, specificaly:

I was going to type out a long explanation, but the court website is surprisingly clear.

Depending on what court you choose, you can see the step by step procedures here:

Here is an example of a petition for an injunction:

Just change up the Texas stuff to Delaware, and add on a paragraph claiming "invasion of privacy." It can be as simple as "Jointly and in the alternative, Plaintiff brings a cause of action of invasion of privacy."

That ought to do it. I wish you the best of luck in your case...


I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me through my profile at or by beginning your question with “This Question is for Eli - ”