How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask njduipro Your Own Question
njduipro, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 0
Experience:  over 20 years practicing law. Currently Alternate Public Defender in Bergenfield NJ (2006-present)
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
njduipro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I get caught for speeding on the highway, do I have to pay

Customer Question

If I get caught for speeding on the highway, do I have to pay the fine directly (card or cash)? Or do I get some kind of invoice? I am from Europe, what happens if I don't pay the invoice in time?
Submitted: 8 years ago via SpeedingTicketCentral.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 8 years ago.



Do you mean that you've been stopped by the police?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, but I might as I often drive a bit too fast... And then I would like to know the consequences.
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 8 years ago.



Im out at court at the moment but if you'll give me an hour or so, I'll give you chapter and verse.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You never came back with your reply! BR Klas
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 8 years ago.

Sorry. I lost this one.


If you are stopped for speeding in the UK you are given a fixed penalty notice. They give you 28 days to pay a fine or appeal the matter. Alternatively they may capture you on a GATSO camera. Thats going to be hard for them because you live in Europe.


To be wholly honest, living in Europe may well make you too hard a target for them to bother with.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Aha - you are talking about the UK... I am in the US...


Expert:  jomo1972 replied 8 years ago.
Ill move this to our US section for you.
Expert:  njduipro replied 8 years ago.
There are 2 kinds of speeding tickets. One kind can be paid by mail (or over the internet). That type will typically include payment information on it. The other requires that you actually attend court for a judge to set the penalty. If you receive that type, the ticket will also generally give you the necessary information. If you are residing out of the US, you can normally have a US attorney attend on your behalf. Most tickets will not result i an invoice, but rather require that you respond to the ticket itself.