How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacEsq Your Own Question
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16370
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
ScottyMacEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

the child is in police custody and most likely will be charged

Resolved Question:

the child is in police custody and most likely will be charged with crime i have been paying faithfuly but the mother has kept them from me do i have to continue to pay
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 years ago.

How old is the child? What is the crime? What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the child is 15 ithink the charge is arm robbery the mother wont give me any details fl
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 years ago.

Only a court can make changes to a child support payment, even though the child might not be in the custody of the other parent. If you have joint managing conservatorship, you should be able to find out directly from the police where your child is and what he is charged with.


If you stop paying without a court order, then you could be liable for failure to pay child support, get sent to jail, have wages garnished, etc... but this is a change in the circumstances of the child so you might be able to get your payment changed. You need to see a lawyer about this. Whatever you do, do NOT stop paying child support on your own. You need a court order to change what you are paying.


Hope this clears things up. Good luck to you and your family!

ScottyMacEsq and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you