How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter is in lancaster county, pa jail. This is her 2nd

Customer Question

my daughter is in lancaster county, pa jail. This is her 2nd violation but this time she went by the book. Circumstances put her for another violation. My daughter borrowed her pocketbook and left her vicidan prescription with 3 pills. She grabbed her purse and didn't know it was in there. Her boyfriend was beating her up in walmart and someone called well long story short she was sent to jail. One for new charges in lebanon pa and violation in Lancaster pa. What kind of time could she be facing. she been in prison between the 2 for 2 months now. Can the judge take considerations and not make her do more time since she has a hearing in lebanon
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

How long she could be in jail depends on the length of the sentence. I am also assuming she had done everything else right other than catching this new charge. That being said, it is ultimately the judge's decision as to what happens to her probation. Especially since this is her second alleged violation, the LAST thing she needs to do is plead guilty to possessing the prescription drugs illegally in Lebanon.

You and family should be at the probation hearing. Family support can go a long way to getting a person's probation reinstated. It works for my clients often.

The most important thing is to make sure the new charge doesn't become a conviction.

Please remember to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have follow-up questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Nathan Moore
Nate and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can she prevent conviction on new charge
Expert:  Nate replied 8 years ago.
You need to find a good lawyer there to fight it. I don't know the circumstances entirely, but if the pills weren't hers, or there was no need to search her...there are a variety of potential defenses, but only a good attorney there can make that happen.