How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9364
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Whats the sentence for harboring a fugitive

Customer Question

What's the sentence for harboring a fugitive?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
Is the fugitive being charged in state or federal court? For a felony or misdemeanor?

Was the person charged in PA and is still there?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The person was charged in PA and is still there. He was in state prison for a misdemeanour, and also I believe for violating old probation on a felony. He became a fugitive by refusing to return to prison after a weekend furlough.


Thanks so much.


P.S. Since I asked my question he has been captured. I'm not sure where he has been taken or what extra charges and loss of privileges he will face. I'm still interested in the answer to my original question though.



Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
(a) Offense defined.--A person who willfully conceals himself or moves or travels within or outside this Commonwealth with the intent to avoid apprehension, trial or punishment commits a felony of the third degree when the crime which he has been charged with or has been convicted of is a felony and commits a misdemeanor of the second degree when the crime which he has been charged with or has been convicted of is a misdemeanor.
18 Pa.C.S.A. § 5126

A person aiding another to avoid apprehension could be charged as an accessory to the above offense. I have not found a specific section on aiding or harboring a fugitive. But I do not have very good access to PA laws on line.

If you tell me what town you are in I can find a local attorney who would have the PA Codes and could get you more specific information.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX'm in Lansdale. The information you've given me so far is really useful. Peace.

Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago. lists criminal defense attorneys in that area, some of whom offer a free consultation.
N Cal Attorney and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was hoping to get an answer from this board so that I didn't have to spend hours on the phone talking to lawyers.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 years ago.
I understand, I hate talking to them too. I know one lawyer here on JA who is admitted in PA, so I will opt out and send him a private message to please assist you.

Related Criminal Law Questions