Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what are the laws for ex-cons owning firearms

Customer Question
My last felony convict was...
My last felony convict was in 1997, 12 years ago, can I own a gun ? Can I go deer hunting with somebody elses gun? Can i have a gun in my home for self-defense? Can I own or have in my possesion a shot-gun? My felonies were non-violent, (drugs), I own my own home now and have been working for the same employer for 5 years, can I vote? I am 54 years old and want to go hunting and fishing again. Please help! Or tell me what I have to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
6/21/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
No, you may not own or possess a gun in California right now. You can see the law as it presently applies to you here. What you would have to do to qualify for restoration of your rights is amplified on that page.

Another option if you can amass good evidence of how you've turned your life around would be to apply to the governor for a pardon. The procedure to do this is found here. and you appear eligible to apply. The law states specifically that

"A person convicted of a felony cannot own or possess firearms. (Penal Code sec. 12021.) If the individual receives a full and unconditional pardon, he or she may own or possess any type of weapon that may lawfully be possessed by others in California, unless the person was convicted of an offense that involved the use of a dangerous weapon. (This latter italicized qualification would not appear to apply to you).

There are lawyers who specialize in expungement/pardon issues, who know the ins and out of these matters and who may be able to "package" you better than you can for yourself. It may be worth your while to arrange for a consultation with one.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD