JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.
14211116

i recieved a ticket in larimer county colorado for driving

i recieved a ticket in larimer county colorado for driving under revocation. a cop drove behind me for about five miles i was not commiting any moving violations so i payed him no mind. all of a sudden i'm pulled over becaus, officer:" i was bored in traffic so i was running plates, this vehicle came back as being registered to a driver who's lisence is supsended, is this your vehicle" he then wrote me a ticket and drove away. it is my impression that this is an unlawful traffic stop, i'm now looking at 30 days to a year in jail for driving safely down the road. i cannot afford a lawyer and work to much to qualify for a public defender.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

The hard truth is that one does not have a constitutional right to privacy when it comes to their license plate. Because of this, the courts have repeatedly held that it is legal for police officers to "run plates" and there is no constitutional violation.

As a result, the traffic stop that you described was legal. If your license was revoked at the time that you were driving, then you can be subject to the maximum possible sanctions -- that's what the district attorney is trying to tell you.

The district attorney is not trying to scare you out of trial...the district attorney has no problem taking the case to trial because it's so clear-cut.....the district attorney is trying to help you minimize the possible consequences.

Good luck and best wishes at your next court date. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!