How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a speeding ticket in terrebone parish in louisiana

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket in terrebone parish in louisiana yesterday. I was clocked going 96 in a 70. I was only cited for speeding and he did take my liscense. The only other ticket that I have received was last year and I did the article 894 thing so it wouldn't show on my record. I am a pharmaceutical rep who has traveled well over 100,000 miles on this highway in the past three years and I just received my second violation.   I have hired a traffic attorney to take care of this for me. What am I looking at realistically??
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 years ago.

I would suggest you have done everything you need retained an attorney to protect your interests. Hopefully you explained everything to the attorney, that you drive a lot and you NEED your driver's license. I always ask my clients what is MOST important to them, protecting their license, avoiding fines or avoiding any classes. You have to keep in mind, speeding tickets are difficult to defend so oftentimes the lawyer focuses more on mitigating the damages instead of actually defending the charge. With this in mind, the attorney needs to know what constitutes a satisfactory result.


In your case, it would appear the license is the most important thing. That being the case, you would probably prefer paying fines and/or taking driving classes over any type of effect on your license. With your lack of prior driving offenses, I would suggest the attorney can likely accomplish any result you desire.



I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My biggest concern is keeping a speeding ticket off of my driving record. Being that my company pays for my car insurance it would not be good if one showed up. What are my chances of getting it knocked down to non moving or being able to take a class to take off my record?
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 years ago.

As you may know, your first hope is that the officer simply doesn't show up in court for the hearing. If this happens, the citation will likely be dismissed with no penalties whatsoever, including, of course, no "record" of the ticket.


If he does show, as I indicated previously, your best approach may be to simply negotiate with the officer. You would point out your very clean driving record and what you do for a living. Also, hopefully you were each very respectful towards the other and the officer has no animosity or hard feelings about the incident. In that situation, officers will typically be willing to work with the person to find an agreeable result.


All things considered, I would suggest you could likely obtain just about any reasonable result with a stipulation from the officer.


I hope this helps. Please, click "Accept" if you found my answer helpful so I may be credited for my response. Do not hesitate to contact me via with any further questions or concerns. Thank you and good luck!


Joseph and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Last question is do you think my lawyer will be able to negotiate with the da to keep this from going to court?? Especially due to the fact that I have a great driving record.
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 years ago.

That is certainly possible. The vast majority of cases are resolved through negotiations and your excellent driving record should go a long way in helping you obtain a favorable outcome here.


Good luck!

Related Criminal Law Questions