How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If one is out on bond pending litigation in the state of

Resolved Question:

If one is "out on bond" pending litigation in the state of West Virginia, can said person legally leave the state (temporarily) for short term employment in another state assuming they abide by laws and return for any court appearances?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 8 years ago.

The court is permitted to set reasonable conditions of someone's bail. Most courts set conditions that the defendant is restricted in their movement that can include not leaving the country, not leaving the state, not leaving the county and even not leaving their house! This person should have been provided (in writing) a list of bail conditions. Those conditions should answer your question about leaving the state, but to be safe I think this person should get written permission from the court (it is done all the time) before leaving the jurisdiction. As long as they are not charged with a major or violent crime they should have no problem getting permission to leave the state for work.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.


JD and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions