How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4488
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 63 year old woman stopped for dui. I went to see Phillips

Resolved Question:

I am a 63 year old woman stopped for dui. I went to see Phillips and Associates who want $8,000 to defend me. I have never had even a traffic ticket in my life. I am a very good person and very very afraid of what is going to happen to me. My blood alcohal level was said to be .113. I took a wrong turn and it is said that I knocked down a gate opening devise at a houseing complex. I was arrested and charged. I have never been so afraid in my life. It is not the first time I have been sort of lost as I drive at night. I have an appointment with my doctor to be tested for alzheimers. I have been under tremendous stress, a divorce after 45 years, breast cancer, a kidney removed and about 7 surgeries within 5 years. I cannot afford to pay that kind of money, another Lawyer wanted $4,000 to defend me. I do not know if I should face the judge without someone to help me. Is there anything you can do for me? Advise? I had three beers, over a 6 to seven hour period, I weigh 115lbs.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.

If you can't afford a lawyer, I'd suggest you apply to the public defender to see if you qualify for their services. You should always have a lawyer with you to help work out the best possible result for you.

If the State doesn't reduce the charge and it proceeds as a DUI, there is a period of jail time of 10 days. If you agree to do counseling, it is reduced to 1 day. Fine and costs can be up to around $1000 and you will lose your license for 90 days.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you say I will certainly loose my licence for 90 days. Is is certain that they will put a lock devise on my car? and for how long?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
did you receive my reply?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
The DMV will suspend your license for 90 days. It is not mandatory that you have an ignition interlock on your car for only a first offense, however.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the suspension automatic and what can I do to prevent that, is it possible to prevent?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
Unlikely, as the suspension is mandatory and done by the DMV, not the courts.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you I wish I could say that I feel better, but I do not I continue to be terrified, just terrified.
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
Just be sure to go to the public defender as soon as possible to see if they can represent you. The sooner you go sign up, the better they can help you out. They will help make the process less scary for you and will be with you in court. Good luck to you.

If you could click Accept so I get credit for my answer, I'd appreciate it. Take care.
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions