How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Got a DUI. I hired an attorney. The court offerd to reduce

Resolved Question:

I Got a DUI. I hired an attorney.   The court offerd to reduce the charge to wreclus driving to ----reckless driving ( Amended ) ---and Conditional Discharge. 18 months ((((They wrote in wreckles driving AMENDED )))does that change it frome a normal wreckless driving?
Were it states --Defendant shall reframe from possessing a firearm or dangerous weapon, THEY WROTE IN ((EXCEPT FORE HUNTING PURPOSE ONLY )) That was in april this year now June 1-09 I recived a notice in the mail to return my illinois firearms card. until this is cetiled then I would have to re apply.

Now I have conformed with the court requirments. Is there A law or case that sets presedance that would force them to honer ther offer fore a guilty plea. why could they not be forced to lower to a lessor charge so it would not afect my fire arms wrights ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 years ago.

It's unfortunate, but my strong belief is that there was a simple miscommunication between the clerk of court and the firearms agency.


If you had an attorney representing you on the DUI charge, they may be able to help you out here as well.


Regardless, contact the firearms agency. There phone number and/or website address are likely on the letter you received. Explain that the sentencing included that you ARE permitted to possess a firearm, it is simply limited to hunting purposes only. If they only require a copy of your judgment/conviction, simply make a copy from the papers you were provided in court and forward that to them. If they required a certified copy, you will need to contact your local clerk of court to request that they print out a copy and certify it for you.


To address a concern you stated, you should NOT need any caselaw or precedent to address this matter, it is simply a matter of clearing up the discrepancy between your sentence and the action taken by the firearms bureau.



I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Joseph and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions