Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I shoplifted at a grocery store about 30 miles away from where

Customer Question

I shoplifted at a grocery store about 30 miles away from where I live in another county, I tore the tag off of the item and left it in the store. I then made a purchase with my debit card...they have since found the tag and may have looked at the video, this all happened over about 30 hours. Can they get my information from my debit card and find me? It was under 40$. Will they send authorities in my current town after me? How long do they have to act on matters like this? Will they come to my house and arrest me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
They cannot make an unauthorized charge on your card, but they can indeed find you through their records and charge you with shoplifting and can also send you a civil demand for up to $300 plus attorney's fees under the civil recovery statutes. There is a 2 year statute of limitations on them bringing misdemeanor charges from the date of the incident. If they decide to pursue it, they will put out a warrant and will come to arrest you or ask you to come turn yourself in.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”