How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got a question- I hired an atty in 2005 to hand a crimal case

Resolved Question:

Got a question- I hired an atty in 2005 to hand a crimal case Fraud. The atty quoted me an hour rate of roughly 300 dollars an hour . I secured the contract with 20k down payment. I was told that this amount should resolve the fee. I gave the firm all the doc i had at the time and igave
them all the info on the strenghth/weakness of this case . I was offered a proffer session- which they said was standard in white collar cases. However i had no intention of attending but the firm did. We had a meeting last week to go over what was the govt case. It was the same info i gave them in 2005 nothing oustide the scope that i had already provided. I was told if i did not take the plea agmnt that the govt will included (pad) the indicment hoping to convict on any chagres but was alarmed was that the firm requested additional 100k retainer. Since i gave my retainer fee in 05 there has not been any work -just confering with his supervisor the govt was still investigating. Any suggestion
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You have a right to demand an itemized accounting for any work the firm has done on your case. Before you can proceed to dispute any use of the retainer, you must go through everything they have claimed that they did on your case since 2005. Once you go through their itemized statement for services allegedly provided, then you could have the right to challenge their fees through the state bar's attorney fee dispute resolution service.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you