Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Can I go to jail for having an expired vehicle tag. This is

Can I go to jail for having an expired vehicle tag. This is my second offense. I have a clean record.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 years ago.
According to Florida Statute 320.07 anyone whose registration has been expired for 6 months or less commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as nonmoving violation as provided in Chapter 318 Chapter 318.14 indicates the penalty would be a fine and/or suspension.

If the registration has been expired for more than 6 months, this would be a second degree misdemeanor and 775.082 indicates that up to 60 days in jail would be possible for a second offense, as well as the possibility of a $500 fine.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. My tags have been expired for three years. I have never had any other legal problems. In your opinion will a judge give me a jail for this.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 years ago.
Sorry that I didn't get back to you right away. I'm in New York, and I'd already turned in for the evening when you wrote your follow-up.

The judge has the discretion to sentence you to up to 6 months on this. My guess -- and it would be only a guess -- is that based on the nature of the case and the fact that you've avoided trouble with the law, as well as the fact that you are still at liberty, that you will get off with a suspension of your license and a very hefty fine (and/or some community service). If you told me that there had been an accident that brought your expired tags to the court's attention and that someone was seriously injured, or that there were other criminal charges along with this one, I might feel differently. All the same, however, especially as you mentioned that this was your second time that you had expired tags, you should have a lawyer with you at your court appearance. This time around because it's your second offense and because of how long your tags have been expired, you are facing a criminal misdemeanor and not a non-criminal infraction.