How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was just charged with 7 counts criminal mischief under

This answer was rated:

My son was just charged with 7 counts criminal mischief under $1000, 2 counts conspiricy 3rd degree, underage consumption, and possesion of spray paint. Can you tell me what kind of fines/penalties he is facing without an attorney? He goes for arraignment on Wednesday 6/3 so time is short
How old is your son?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he just turned 18 dec 27,2008, never been arrested beofre, graduating from high school 6/4 honor roll just got mixed up with wrong group of boys
Thank you.

The penalty for criminal mischief under $1000 is 1-3 years in jail and $1000-$3000 in fines. The possession of the spray paint is a Class B misdemeanor that carries a $500 fine and 100 hours of community service. The conspiracy charges would likely merge so they will not be separately penalized.

When he goes in for his arraignment he can find out what the prosecutor's offer is to plead guilty. If he likes the plea, he can take it. Otherwise, he will have until the trial date to retain counsel. If he can't afford it, he should sign up for the public defender.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would you suggest that I hire an attorney for him or use public defender, he is guilty, and since the 4 others involved were juveniles he took brunt of it. He is honor roll student, never been arrested-even suspended, and graduating high school in 4 days. will any of this do anything or change the decision?
The public defender will probably be able to get him the best deal possible, especially given his lack of record. They usually have good working relationships with the prosecutors to ensure the best outcome.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok so I don't really need to do anything until court day is that your advice??
At this point it is too late to get the public defender for the arraignment if he hasn't signed up, so he can let the court know that he intends to sign up when he enters his plea.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why is it too late he was arrested yesterday??
Sometimes the PD's office requires a defendant to sign up a certain number of days in advance. If he was just charged, however, he may still be able to get one for Wednesday. Contact the office first thing tomorrow morning so that they can make arrangements to cover his case on Wednesday.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you soooooooooooo much you made me feel a bit better in this hard situation
No problem and good luck. If you could click Accept so I can get credit for my answer, I'd appreciate it. Take care.
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you