Criminal Law

Yes, I was arrested today for fraud. Passing a forged prescrption…

Yes, I was arrested today...
Yes, I was arrested today for fraud. Passing a forged prescrption at a pharmacy. The police read me my rights and asked if they could search my car and I said NO! Well, They did anyway and are holding most of my property. Don't they need a reason to search my car and where eas the search warrant. They didn't wait for one. Is this right?... Read full answer
Yes, I was arrested today for fraud. Passing a forged prescrption at a pharmacy. The police read me my rights and asked if they could search my car and I said NO! Well, They did anyway and are holding most of my property. Don't they need a reason to search my car and where eas the search warrant. They didn't wait for one. Is this right?
5/14/2009
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
The police can search your vehicle, incident to a lawful arrest, if it was in your possession at the time. If they pulled you over in your car and arrested you, they could search the vehicle. However, if they can to your home to make the arrest and then went into your car, there could be a valid basis for a motion to suppress evidence, found in the vehicle, unrelated to the arrest. You should contact a criminal defense attorney and have them look into the facts of your case. They will need to see the basis for the search of the vehicle. If it was not justified, the evidence would possible be suppressed and not allow in, at trial.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
I really didn't explain this very well. I was arrested in the Walgreens pharmacy by the police. My car was parked in the parking lot locked and they just asked me if they could look in the car and I said NO!. They did anyway and seized all my property looking for more charges they could add on. There was no way they had time to get a search warrant or really my question is what did my car have to do with the arrest inside the store for fraud. It was not involved with carrying contraband or anything (just an example). I hope that is explained better.
If they did not find anything in the car, there is really no point in making any legal argument. If evidence was seized, then there could be a motion to suppress. The car would need to be inventoried, if you were arrested, so they would have to go through it, one way or another.
There was other incriminating material in the car like other fake prescriptions. Did they have the right to search my car. It was not involved in the crime itself. It was parked, locked and they just took the keys and searched it. Now they have more possible charges they can add. I didn't know they could do that unless I was stopped and caught carrying contraband, etc For that matter, does that mean they could go to my house and search it too?

Your attorney needs to read the arrest report and see the basis for the search. If it was after the arrest and as part of an inventory, they would be able to search it and use the prescription against you. If they asked to search you car before the arrest and you did not consent, there could be a legal issue. There are two sides to every story. While I believe your version, the police may say something else, to get around the search. The car may be linked to the commission of the crime, since it was the transportation that you took to get to the pharmacy.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
When is it considered an actual arrest? If you are handcuffed and put in a police car, is that considered an arrest or questioning? If you are read your rights aand then asked if they can search your car and you said, NO! Do they have the right to search the car if the crime didn't involve the car at all?
When you are in handcuffs and not free to leave, it can be assumed you are under arrest. It would be at that time, your Miranda rights would need to be read, if the police are questioning you, about the crime which you are being held in custody on. If you are arrested and the car is at the scene of the crime, they could arrest you and search the vehicle incident to a lawful arrest and also to inventory your vehicle because it would need to be towed. It can not just be left at the pharmacy.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Does Does it matter if it Does it matter Does it matter if it was Does it matter if Does it matter if it was not my Does it Does it matter if it was not Does it matter if it was not my car. It actually owned by a used car dearlership that let me test drive the car overnight to see if I wanted to buy it.They owned it, I didn't. Make any difference?
No, as long as the car was in your control. You can argue that you did not know what was left in the car from the previous holder of it, as it belonged to the dealership.
No, It was my belongings. There were records of where I have been in the past and done this and prescription sheets (blank and some just filled, not used) Can the police do anything with this information. I mean they cannot go back weeks and prove I was the one who committed this crime because I have a note or receipt. They kept my cell phones to see who I have been calling. Can this be done?
The police can use this information, if it can support additional charges. The cell phone really is not an issue but the sheets can be used to link you to other crimes, if it was reported.
It has to have been reported? That is correct?
They would need to link the things you had in the car, to a previous incident. They cant just assume that since you had these papers in the car, you actually went ahead and forged the scripts.
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My car was seized today and they don't yet have a warrant.
my car was seized today and they don't yet have a warrant. my boyfriend and i are being harassed … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
If a cop pulls you over for a suspended license and claims
If a cop pulls you over for a suspended license and claims to smell marijuana and says he has probable cause to search, Is a search and seizure of prescription medication found inside a car legal or c… read more
My sister lives in and her husband is a bad bad person and
Hello. My sister lives in Virginia and her husband is a bad bad person and was arrested today for breaking an entering credit card fraud, burglary etc. My sister had no idea and raises my 2 neices. Th… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Stop searching for answers—
My vehicle was seized fridayThe police say they are night.
my vehicle was seized fridayThe police say they are night. it was parked legally. taking the vehicle because they have reason to believe that a computer inside the van was stolen. Do they have that ri… read more
My roommate was arrested and was charge of fraud. Then the
My roommate was arrested and was charge of fraud. Then the next day the police came with a warrant to our apartment to search his room and mine and got my laptop and phone. Don't know what to do next … read more
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CriminalDefenseAtty,
Under what conditions are police allowed to search and seize
Under what conditions are police allowed to search and seize items from your car?Specifically, if you leave a house known for illegal activity. The police then stops you for a minor traffic violation.… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
What are the laws against search and seize? My boyfriend was
What are the laws against search and seize? My boyfriend was driving my car, got pulled over leaving a Wal-Mart in Blair, NE and they asked to search the car. The car is only registered to me, he told… read more
Counselor at Law,
If a search warrant was executed for me and a residence that
If a search warrant was executed for me and a residence that wasn't mine and the search came up negetive,which cleared me,then they ask my girlfriend who had no search warrants for any of her property… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
What are the legal limits a Police Officer has in pulling you
What are the legal limits a Police Officer has in pulling you over while driving a motor vehicle? This past Saturday, I was driving my nephew home from a fast food restaurant and were pulled over by t… read more
A police officer stops you and his reason is you cant have
A police officer stops you and his reason is "you can't have a frame around your tag". Then he asks to search your car. A. Is it illegal to have a frame (no plastic or vinyl obscures the plates) aroun… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I WAS PULLING OUT OF A PARKING LOT AND WAS FOLLOWED BY A SHERIFF
I WAS PULLING OUT OF A PARKING LOT AND WAS FOLLOWED BY A SHERIFF AND STATE TROOPER THE FOLLOWED ME FOR 4MILES AND THEN TURNED OFF 3MIN LATER I CHECKED MY MIRROR THERE WAS ANOTHER STATE TROPPER 3 CARS … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
i am on probation for a year. A couple nights ago i pulled
i am on probation for a year. A couple nights ago i pulled into my driveway (after being at a friends house for about the last 5 hours)and right behind me pulled in about 5 or 6 police cars. They did … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
i need to know if the police can confiscate my cell phone wi
i need to know if the police can confiscate my cell phone with out a warrant . Or with out arresting me. I also need to know if there is a amunity law for a witness that was part of the some crime.… read more
Litigation Attorney,
if iam sitting in my driveway and i get pulled over i guess
if iam sitting in my driveway and i get pulled over i guess u could say but got out the vehicle and detained and placed in the patrol car and told that they were ganna need to search my truck i said n… read more
xavierjd
xavierjd
One of my perscriptions for a pain pill was turned into the
One of my perscriptions for a pain pill was turned into the pharmacy with refill authorizations. I did not notice the refills and turned in the script to the pharmacy anyways. Three days later the pol… read more
Lawyer,
I do not trust the cops in my town. I let someone use my vehicle
I do not trust the cops in my town. I let someone use my vehicle and the person I let use my car got arrested on a warrant for failure to appear for a traffic case. the cop searched my vehicle for no … read more
CrimDefense
CrimDefense
CriminalDefenseAtty,
Ashland OH, Hello i was at a friends house who had a warrant
Ashland OH, Hello i was at a friends house who had a warrant and the police served the warrant while i was there and i refused to a search and they searched me anyway and found something is there anyt… read more
Len
Len
Attorney at Law,
I gave a fake prescription to be filled, but i never picked ...
How long ago? Most pharmacies restock the drugs after 2-3 weeks of not being picked up. I would ignore it. As long as you do not go to pick it up, it would be hard to charge you. THey have the forged … read more
jamest
jamest