How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34398
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Drunk in public (pc 647 f) in CA, what are my best options to get charges dismissed

This answer was rated:

1st time offender (no criminal background what so ever).
Was very cooperative with officers.
Was walking home, not driving.
Willing to go to A.A. or do community service.
Desperately do not want a misdemeanor on my record.

I have consulted w/ a local lawyer which I was going to have represent me. He was out of town, but suggested to go to the judge and ask them to dismiss the case under the condition that I attend 20 A.A. meetings. He suggests that I should not have a problem getting charges dismissed if I do so.

I am a student, and would prefer to save on the legal fees, but willing to spend the money if necessary.


To handle this properly, your best bet is finding a local attorney to go to court with you.

I can't tell you if the judge will go along with what you want, but he will certainly get the message that you are taking it seriously if you come to court in a professional manner, have representation and be dressed in a way that indicates you respect the court.

Good luck. I hope it goes ok for you.
Loren and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitly go to court in a professional manner (clean cut, suit, etc.)


Am I dreaming with this outcome, or do I have a realistic chance at the charges being dropped if I go in alone?


If I find a local attorney do you feel my chances greatly improve?



I don't know what your chances are. I am convinced, however, that your chances are vastly better with competent counsel.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you feel that the legal adviced which I recieved from the local attorney was incompetent?
It wasn't incompetent. It sounds like he wasn't particularly interested in taking the case.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank You for your time. I am going to try to find some representation. Better safe than sorry. Last question, what do you think a resonable amount for me to expect to pay for an attorney for this kind of charge?

I don;t know. I'm not in your area. Call your local bar assn they should be in a better position to tell you a price range.