LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

I WAS SENTENCED TO A TERM OF PROBATION FOLLOWING MY CONVICTION

I WAS SENTENCED TO A TERM OF PROBATION FOLLOWING MY CONVICTION FOR THE CRIME OF CONSPIRACY TO INTIMIDATE A WITNESS TO INFLUENCE TESTIMONY. ON MAY 16,2002 IN THE STATE OF NEVADA , A BENCH WARRANT HAS BEEN ISSUED. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN CALIFORNIA,CAN NEVADA EXTRADITE ME ? THIS WAS A GROSS MISDEMINER.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

1. What is the reason for the issuance of the bench warrant (i.e. is it a new offense, violation of probation for the prior offense, etc.)?

2. How did you learn the bench warrant had been issued for your arrest?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
A BENCH WARRANT WAS ISSUED FOR PROBATION VIOLATIONS. THE NV. DIVESION OF PAROLE AND PROBATION SENT ME A LETTER APRIL 28. NOTIFING ME THAT THEY HAVE MY CURRENT ADDRESS IN CA. THEY INSTRUCTED ME TO CONTACT THEM IMMEDIATELY TO DISCUSS THE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO RESOLVE THE WARRANT.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately in this matter.
  2. What you have encountered is a very common approach or ploy. In other words, you have been "invited" to discuss your options to "resolve" the warrant. In actuality, however, the only way this will be "resolved" is by either surrendering yourself for arrest or having law enforcement either come after you and execute the warrant or have that happen in a random encounter with an officer (i.e. a routine traffic step). Either way, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that one way or the other you will be arrested. The warrant will not be "resolved" or "cleared" in any other manner, unless you have a skilled criminal defense attorney who can work out other arrangements. I would not be overly hopeful, but without a doubt your best chances for the most favorable outcome lie in conferring with legal counsel.
  3. Here is how I have handled similar situations, and this is my best recommendation for you. On Monday, make an appointment to sit down with a lawyer in California to contact the Nevada Division of Parole and Probation on your behalf. If you do not address the matter now, the next likely step would indeed be extradition. Under the Interstate Compact, in light of an alleged probation violation this is virtually a certainty. Should you encounter law enforcement prior to being able to meet with a lawyer, it is imperative that you know your rights and assert them. I would be glad to interact with you further on this topic even after you click "accept" to process my answer. I will be working in this forum periodically over the weekend, and I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.