A.S.B., Esq.
A.S.B., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  I am an Assistant District Attorney, and former criminal defense attorney.
16341680

i have a job that takes me out of countrie and 20 years ago

i have a job that takes me out of countrie and 20 years ago got a felony can i get a passport
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  A.S.B., Esq. replied 8 years ago.

First and foremost, thank you for choosing justanswer.com. I am a licensed criminal defense attorney and a member of the American Bar Association and I believe I can be of guidance.

The simple answer to your question as to whether you may get a passport is yes. There are no questions regarding your former criminal record, or questions regarding former felonies in your background, on the offical application for a travel passport. Thus, there are no outright rules against a former felon from getting a passport.

However, the ultimate decision will be up to the State Department as they will be the one's making the decision as to whether or not you can have a passport. But take heart, I know of individuals who are convicted felons who have been able to obtain a passport for travel; some with no questions asked, and others who had to explain their criminal record in more detail.

Fill out the application and have it filed . . . then wait and see. Answer any questions they may have for you and you should be fine. I also want to tell the that since your felony is 20 some odd years old it is good for your cause.

I hope this helps. Please, click "Accept" if you have found my answer helpful so I may recieve credit for my response. Do not hesitate to contact me via justanswer.com with any further questions or concerns. Good luck to you and happy travels!