How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Moyock, NC. Five 16 year old boys are drinking in a friends

Resolved Question:

Moyock, NC. Five 16 year old boys are drinking in a friends house where parents are not at home. Can the police come into the house and administer breathalizer tests to the teens without their parent's consent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

I'm sure the police are going to say they were allowed into the house whether they were or not and the trial judge is going to accept their word. Once they are in the house they can administer the breath test since they then have probable cause.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Even if there were no open containers in the house? They also searched the entire house. I guess this is legal as well, once they are "supposedly" allowed in the house? Understand, I am not condoning the boys drinking. They are in serious trouble, just trying to protect their rights. It seems they have none.
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

If there were no open containers they are going to say the "smelled" alcohol on their breath. The search of the house is a real problem and if any other evidence had been uncovered then that could be supressed. The problem is that a trial court rarely supressses evidence and you have the expense of an appeal. There must have been some report or complaint and the police can act based on that complaint.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, they just saw one of the boys walking down the street and took him back to the house and went in. It's a pretty remote area an not many neighbors. I appreciate your help and understand there's not much we can do. Just wanted to make sure.
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.
Youre welcome.
lwpat and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions