How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for DWI in Collin County, Texas. This is my

Customer Question

I was arrested for DWI in Collin County, Texas. This is my second in five years. If I am guilty for sure, should I pay $4000.00 to hire an attorney?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.



i can provide the following information


TX law provides if it is shown that a person has been previously convicted of DWI, the punishment and penalties after conviction are increased or enhanced, if the prior DWI conviction occurred within 10 years of the present arrest for DWI - this is regardless if the prior conviction occurred in TX


these are the penalties for a second conviction


fine not to exceed $4,000.00, confinement in the county jail for a term of not less than 72 hours nor more than 1 year, community service 80 to 200 hours, deep lung air device, driving privilege suspended for 180 days to 2 years.


you may want to consult with a local attorney and then decide if you should hire them - they might be able to keep you from jail time, and your supension of DL to a minimum, as well as a lower fine.


good luck



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already had researched the information you have given me on

Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.



i answered the question you asked with the detail. i cannot tell you how to plead as that would be considered giving "advice" - i presented your options. but if you are not satisfied with my answer, i will opt out and see if another attorney will tell you what you should do.

Related Criminal Law Questions