How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 23 year old daughter is in prison in ca. for pimping and

This answer was rated:

my 23 year old daughter is in prison in ca. for pimping and prostitution of a minor over the age of 16. she would like to move back to co. using interstate compact when she goes on parole in July. i know she has to resister as a sex offender. i would like to knew what the state laws for offenders are. also if she could come live with me. i live near 2 schools and i have other minor children living in my home.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I am sorry for this family situation, and I hope that everything works out appropriately in this matter.
  2. As you may already know, Colorado was actually the first jurisdiction to sign the Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS). California is also a member, so you have identified the correct mechanism for seeking a transfer. Procedurally, your daughter will need to request the required paperwork from her parole officer and submit it for consideration. At this point, one helpful step you could take would be to review the forms yourself. A simple registration is required, but you can download them for free through ICAOS. If you click on the link provided, it will take you directly to the appropriate page.

  3. Realistically, the process can be frustrating due to the number of applicants and the required coordination between the two jurisdictions. The granting of a transfer is discretionary, not mandatory, but your daughter has one important factor in her corner here. The main thing the parole folks want to see if a viable relocation plan (i.e. employment, living arrangements), and immediate family support is definitely regarded favorably.

  4. Now, of course there are some important negative considerations here owing to the nature of your daughter's conviction. Under Colorado law, an important distinction is whether your daughter would be required to register as an a "regular" sex offender or what is known as a sexually violent predator. Based on what you have related here, it would certainly seem that she would fall into the first, less severe category.

  5. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that, while I can make no guarantees, given the nature of the offense I see no outright prohibition to your daughter living with you. When the time arrives, the parole officials will conduct an investigation into the details of the proposed shared living arrangement and other members of the household with whom you daughter would reside. In Colorado, there is no state law against registered sex offenders living near schools. It is going to come down to a determination of appropriateness by the parole agency, but your state is one of the very most favorable jurisdictions for people in your daughter's shoes.

  6. The truth of the matter is that no state statutory restrictions exist that apply to the living arrangements and locations for persons convicted of offenses involving unlawful sexual behavior. Some municipalities and counties throughout the state, however, have implemented local ordinances that place restrictions on where a sex offender can live in the community. You would have to contact the City or County Commissioner's Office or Zoning Office to inquire whether or not your city or county has such an ordinance regarding sex offender residences.


I would be glad to interact with you further on this topic even after you click "accept" to process my answer. I will be working in this forum periodically over the weekend, and I will be sure to check back for any updated posts from you.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have already found the icaos site. and sent my daughter the papers to give to her conceler. She is waiting to find out if she is aproved to transfer to littleton co. Is there a way for her to come out to co. without waiting the 45 day in ca. she was told that when she gets out on july 1 that she has to wait. she has already been contacted by the prole office in ca. they are telling her that she must go to the address they have on file for her. which by the way is the same hotel she was arested at.

Related Criminal Law Questions