How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was sentenced for two charges. One he got 60 days

Customer Question

My brother was sentenced for two charges. One he got 60 days for. The other, he says he got 20 days. The record says (for one charge) jail: 20 days. Later (for the same charge) jail: 355 days, 325 days (suspended). He says he got 80 days total. The newspaper says he got 110 days. So for the one charge, is it 20, 30, or 50 days? Also, he has a review after 64 days, does this mean he's out and goes back to court? Or is he still serving and they'll decide whether or not to reduce his sentence? He says he gets out after 48 days of time could he know that? Please help. my mother is distraught over all of this. Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
On the charge he received a sentence of 355 days, 325 days suspended, which means that he will have to serve 30 days in jail for that charge. He will have 325 days hanging over his head should he violate any term of his probation.

Assuming the first charge of 60 days is correct, that would make a total of 90 days that he would have to actually serve. He would have to serve more, if he violated a term of probation.

He will still have to serve his sentence during his review. If the review is positive, he will be released within a day or two. I don't see how he can know that he will get out after 48 days, unless he received credit for time served prior to his sentence.

You have a right to contact ask either his attorney or the prosecutor to explain the sentencing and confirm the actually amount of time he has to serve.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

Related Criminal Law Questions