How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my boyfriend was sentenced in 2007 to 5 years prison and 5

Resolved Question:

my boyfriend was sentenced in 2007 to 5 years prison and 5 years special parole for a drug charge and non-sex related risk of injury charge. His special parole is schedule to begin 5/7/09. An article in the CT Law library states that as of 2/2008, special parole can only be given to sex offenders and persistent offenders. Can we go back into court and have his special parole thrown out and maybe converted to regular parole?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.



here is the law on who special parole can be imposed on - and it states when one is " sentenced as a (a) persistent dangerous felony offender or (b) persistent serious felony offender"


so if your BF was sentenced as such then the court is correct. if he has prior arrests - does not need to be convictions, then he can be deemed "persistent"


if that is not the case, then he can file for a modification in his sentence and request the change


Samuel II and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you