How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested in Crown Point, IN in March for speeding

Resolved Question:

My son was arrested in Crown Point, IN in March for speeding and for having approx 8 grams of marijuana. We live in Milwaukee and have a court hearing in a week. My question is what kind of sentence do the judges usually impose for this time of crime? He has never been in trouble before, and he is 23 years old.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 years ago.



if the possession is 30 grams or less, the possible penalty is one year and/or a $5000 fine.


for a first offender, a conditional discharge is possible - where the judge would impose probation and substance abuse treatment counseling. if that is completed successfully, then the matter could be expunged from his record. of course, there are court costs involved and if you explain that you do not have the finances to pay a heffty fine, ask for mercy and explain that there will be costs to the substance abuse counseling, etc - again it is possible to have the fine reduced -


the speeding will also invoke a fine - but you can ask no points be assessed.



Samuel II and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you