Criminal Law

My son is a 1st time offender 18yrs old in the state of New…

My son is a 1st...
My son is a 1st time offender 18yrs old in the state of New york for armed robbery of a vehicle, how does the 1st time offender clause or waiver works for him?... Read full answer
My son is a 1st time offender 18yrs old in the state of New york for armed robbery of a vehicle, how does the 1st time offender clause or waiver works for him?
4/29/2009
Thomas Swartz
Hello jrucker1997,

New York does not have any specific provisions applying to 1st time offenders for robbery. The fact that this is his first offense may mitigate his sentence, but it would not waive his criminal responsibility. New York has three robbery offenses - robbery first degree, robbery second degree, and robbery third degree. If you tell me which specific robbery he is facing I can tell you the potential sentence.

Thomas

Thanks for your response. I really don't know. I can tell you his friend was driving and bumped a car in front of them and my son jumped out of the passenger side of the vehicle approached the the vehicle his friend bumped and told the occuppants to get out. The occuppants stated my son flashed a weapon.

I've replied.

HelloCustomer

He is most likely charged with either Robbery Second Degree or Robbery First Degree.

Robbery Second Degree is a Class C felony.

Robbery First Degree is a Class B felony.

The maximum penalty for a Class C felony is 15 years.

The maximum penalty for a Class B felony is 25 years.

These are only the maximum sentences. The court can impose lower sentences including sentences of conditional discharge, probation and fines. And since this is a first offense, it is not likely that the sentence will be severe.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz

Thank-you Mr. Swartz,

This unlike his character. He has no record. For future reference or counsel may i contact you? I would like to know is it advisable for us to seek a criminal defense lawyer, how costly is it?

Sincerely,

JRucker

HelloCustomer

Yes, it is definitely advisable to seek a criminal defense counsel. Your son is potentially facing serious charges. A criminal defense attorney will ensure that all your son's rights are fully protected. You may definitely contact my through Just Answer to answer simple questions. But for full advice, you should seek a criminal defense attorney who can become fully familiar with your son's case and work full time on it. Good luck, and I am sorry that your son is going through this.

Thomas
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My son is in jail for armed robbery and he has a probation
my son is in jail for armed robbery and he has a probation hold … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
How are you I was try to see about the new law that was
how are you I was try to see about the new law that was passed about the armed robbery I have a brother in angola with a 50 year sentence for arm robbery where no one was hurt in the process … read more
James Daloisio
James Daloisio
Attorney,
My son is a 1st time offender he was 17 yrs old when he was
my son is a 1st time offender he was 17 yrs old when he was charged with his crime he's now 22 years old and currently housed in one of NC Correctional facilities and his Projected release date is set… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
I have a son who is incarcerated going on 3 years. It all
I have a son who is incarcerated going on 3 years. It all started when he violated his first offender. He was on first offender for robbery. He violated first offender by allegedly committing another … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My son was driving a car at the mall, s friend jumped out
Hi, my son was driving a car at the mall, his friend jumped out the front passenger seat, and armed robbery amother kid with a Beebe gun, stole his wallet aND backpack, my son claimed he was not aware… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
I have a teen that is 16 and being tried as an adult on charge
I have a teen that is 16 and being tried as an adult on charge of armed robbery. He states that he is innocent of the armed robbery charge but was present at the scene with his cousin and their are ot… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
In the state of west Virginia my brother was my brother and
In the state of west Virginia my brother was my brother and his friend went to family dollar but his friend robbed family dollar at gun point, and my brother conspired within the crime but he wasn't t… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
In a case where my son was indicted for armed robbery he has
In a case where my son was indicted for armed robbery he has been offered a plea deal to a: plea to armed robbery and serve nine years - with good behavior no probation after nine year term served, or… read more
For the state of NC for Class D Felony, Armed Robbery with
For the state of NC for Class D Felony, Armed Robbery with sawed off shot gun, curious to know what the plea bargin would be like ?… read more
if this is your first time ever in trouble. you are 19 years
if this is your first time ever in trouble. you are 19 years old and being accused of armmed robbery wat is the minimum sentence he can recieve?… read more
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD
Lawyer,
my 18yr old son as been charged with the following 2 armed
my 18yr old son as been charged with the following: 2 armed criminal actions, resisting arrest D felony, assault police A felony, assuault police means other then a deadly weapon C felony, robbery 1st… read more
Steinlaw
Steinlaw
Attorney/Principal,
my son was charged with , 2 armed robberies , and 1st degree
my son was charged with , 2 armed robberies , and 1st degree murder , he has no prior crimnial,record, was not the shooter , was not in the builiding when the shooting occured. they are not considerin… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
My son was convicted of armed robbery in 1998, he was given
My son was convicted of armed robbery in 1998, he was given 15 years as of today he has not gotten a parole date. The entire case was a conspiracy against my son by a detective which I knew but at the… read more
Attorney,
My Son Was Charged With 3 Counts Of arm Robbery And 3 Counts
My Son Was Charged With 3 Counts Of arm Robbery And 3 Counts With Consperaciey I would Like Too No About How Long Will He Have To Do. It Is His First Offense Never Been In Jail and I'm worry because h… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
CAN YOU BE CONVICTED OF ARM ROBBERY IF YOU WAS FOUND NOT GUILTY FOR A WEAPON
MY NEPHEW WAS CHARGED WITH MURDER, HE RAN WHEN HE SEEN THE BOY SHOOT HIS FRIEND, THE BOY THEN CAUGHT UP WITH HIM AND TOLD HIM THAT THEY BOTH DID AND HE SAID NO I DIDN'T THE BOY THEN MADE HIM GO WITH H… read more
RBinJax
RBinJax
[New York] A minor charged as an adult. Are there any laws
[New York] A minor charged as an adult. Are there any laws protecting them from having to deal with the conviction for the rest of their lives?… read more
Lawyer Bob
Lawyer Bob
Hi Sir/Madam, My son has been charged with first degree robbery
Hi Sir/Madam, My son has been charged with first degree robbery and has court date set for next week. He is juvenile and we live in New York city. This is his first time ever to be charged with any cr… read more
Attorney,
My son is 22, he and two other people were charged with two
My son is 22, he and two other people were charged with two counts of armed home invasion. This is his first offense and he did not harm anyone. Exactly what kind of time is he looking at and is it po… read more
Lawyer,