How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was suspended from his job tonight due to the theft

Resolved Question:

My son was suspended from his job tonight due to the theft of 750.00 from Game Stop. He was not booked or handcuffed but police took a report and stated that Game Stop would be the investigator and we would receive a letter in the mail.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. What is the jurisdiction (state) in question?

  2. What is your question for a legal expert to answer?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
New Jersey,
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately for your son in this matter. If you need to write back, please do not hesitate to do so. I will be online throughout the evening and again over the weekend.
  2. To answer your question, for this amount and jurisdiction, he could be charged with Theft by Unlawful Taking or Disposition pursuant to New Jersey Statutes Annotated 2C:20-3. A complaint or indictment for unlawful taking or disposition can come in three different grades under New Jersey law. In this case, it would be a Third Degree Offense since the value involved is between $500 and $75,000. This constitutes a felony offense, and the maximum penalty (not including fines and restitution) is up to five years in prison.
  3. Given the seriousness of the allegation and the negative consequences, it is absolutely imperative that you son know his rights and assert them in any encounter with law enforcement or his former employer. He should remain absolutely silent and refrain from providing any statements whatsoever. The next thing he should do is speak with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. If he is unable to afford to retain a lawyer in his area, he should request the appointment of counsel (public defender) at his initial court appearance, should it come to that.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you