Criminal Law

A friend of mine has a 14 year old son who was arrested for…

Customer Question
A friend of mine has...
A friend of mine has a 14 year old son who was arrested for less than 2.5 grams of cannibus.In line 6 of the court document it states that it would be in the bets interest of the youth to be a ward of the court.The family background is fairly solid and the youth has no prior arrests.What does this statement mean?... Read full answer
A friend of mine has a 14 year old son who was arrested for less than 2.5 grams of cannibus.In line 6 of the court document it states that it would be in the bets interest of the youth to be a ward of the court.The family background is fairly solid and the youth has no prior arrests.What does this statement mean?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/7/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 10 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

hi

they would have to prove that the parents are abusive or negligent - it is possible that the language is "boilerplate" - if the child has a solid family, no truancy, etc - then i suggest they might want to consult with a local attorney to make sure this child is not taken from them -

a ward of the court means exaclty what it sounds like - that the court order a governmental agency take temporary custody of him for his protection and care if the child is suffering from parental neglect or abuse, or has been in trouble with the law and therefore deemed "deliquent"

it also could mean that a temporary guardian be appointed to make sure that the child is not a victim of neglect and that the parents' behavior is not to blame for the indiscretion of the child.

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
It also states that minor be adjudged a ward of the court and for other release under the juvenial court act

hi

again, that sounds like that is what the state is seeking in way of relief or punishment - but it does not mean it will happen. it is standard language - "and for other relief..."

the parents need to be present at the hearing and they need to show that they have a solid family and that they can control the child's behavior that he is not incorrigible. the child also needs to know that the court can order him to a home to live away from his parents so he needs to be careful not to break the law again.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Our 37 year old son (living with us) is a convicted felon (5
Our 37 year old son (living with us) is a convicted felon (5 years ago) selling oxycotin (2 tablets over the misdemeanor Limit). He got 3 years probation (which they cut to 1-1/2 years for good behavi… read more
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero
I have an arrest showing on my cirminal history and am
I have an arrest showing on my cirminal history and am applying for a job that is a level 2 background check … read more
Lori
Lori
My son just got caught with marijuana and pipe but he said
My son just got caught with marijuana and pipe but he said there is no way he was caught with 10-30 grams. This is his first offense and we live in Illinois. What does he need to do? He just got 2 cit… read more
Stop searching for answers—
You answered my questions about employment background checks
Hello - You answered my questions about employment background checks and my first time DUI in Louisiana back on March 31. You may not recall that discussion but I have now received an offer of employm… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My 19 yr old son was in a car that was pulled over and less
my 19 yr old son was in a car that was pulled over and less than 2.5 grams of marijuana was found in the car, but not on his person. This was back in Jan, before the new law went into effect. He has a… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
What is the rule for taking DNA from youths..12-13-15-17 years
What is the rule for taking DNA from youths..12-13-15-17 years old. Do you need to be arrested?… read more
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
my 17 year old son was arrested for possession of cannabis
my 17 year old son was arrested for possession of cannabis (1 GM) and has a court date this upcoming week. I assume he should plea guilty. What type of punishment can he expect. Any advice?… read more
Litigation Attorney,
My 18 yo son was arrested for possession of 1 gram of Marijuana
My 18 yo son was arrested for possession of 1 gram of Marijuana in Texas and was not told he was arrested and why when taken into custody. He was not read his rights until 3 hours later when he was tr… read more
xavierjd
xavierjd
stepson received second dui recently, 1st being apprx 6 years
stepson received second dui recently, 1st being apprx 6 years ago. This one he rearended a car w/ possilbe injury to occupant of other car. blood alcohol 2.5 times ca legal limit. prior to acc he was … read more
Lawyer,
My fiance has a 30-year old felony conviction for burglary
My fiance has a 30-year old felony conviction for burglary in Texas and, yes, he took a plea bargain. He went through a lengthy and expensive process with an attorney in Texas attempting to obtain a p… read more
dkennedy
dkennedy
Attorney,
My 20 year old received a ticket for rolling a stop sign and
My 20 year old received a ticket for rolling a stop sign and possession of marijuana. (less than a gram and in CA) Is there any chance this could go on his record? My other question is if he gets pull… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
my son is 15 years old and was charges with under 20 grams
my son is 15 years old and was charges with under 20 grams of pot. he has a record for a a theft of $ 10 when he was 13. i would like to pleasd guilt and request drug court. is this a good idea?… read more
Michael J., Esq.
Michael J., Esq.
Stop searching for answers—
My son was pulled over for Exceeding the speed limit by 15mph
My son was pulled over for Exceeding the speed limit by 15mph and turning movement without signals. Once the officer reached the car he smelled marijuana, asked if he could search the vehicle and was … read more
xavierjd
xavierjd
Friend of mine just got caught with 40 roxycodone 30 mg, with
Friend of mine just got caught with 40 roxycodone 30 mg, with her kids in the car, first offense, is there a mandatory sentence?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
My son was arrested Sat. in Mississippi. I think they said
My son was arrested Sat. in Mississippi. I think they said it was more then 30 grams found under the hood of his car. He as a favor took a friend and his friend to a court date in La. (they are all fr… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Before I ask my question I need to bring you up to speed.
Before I ask my question I need to bring you up to speed. I'm divorcing my wife due to her repeated infidelity issues. Through the help of a lawyer here, I've established some additional action to tak… read more
I have a son that has been in prison for almost 6 years.
I have a son that has been in prison for almost 6 years. His crime; she was a willing 14 year old and he was a stupid 17 year old. Now he is considered a sex offender and must register for life. He's … read more
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton
My 19 year old son was arrested for possession of ...
My 19 year old son was arrested for possession of 2.4-10 gr. of marijuana in Lincolon Illinois. Does he need to have an attorney present at his court date, and what can we expect as far as consequence… read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,