How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question....I turned myself in after being caught forging a

This answer was rated:

Question....I turned myself in after being caught forging a prescription for Adderall. Last Thursday I went in front of the judge ..arrainment I believe. I was let go without bond as this is my first stupid crime. What happens when I go back next week? I was told to get a lawyer..

Thanks for using


In order for me to better assist you, please provide the following information:


Do you know the exact charge that has been authorized against you?


Do you recall if the judge offered you the opportunity to request a public defender?


Thanks...and I'll do some digging while a await your response. I'll be back with you in about 15 min. after you respond.


Thanks again.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Actually, No I don't. I think I will call the Officer tomorrow. A Public Defender was offered....then when I was in front of the Judge, the PD stated that she was only assisting me for the day. I have been laid off for 9 months, and just started a job 3 weeks ago. I am Married. Does that matter? I'm trying to keep this shame from him.


Don't call the police officer regarding the public defender. Call the court! I'm sure that there is paperwork that you will need to fill out so that you can be appointed a public defender to assist you with your case.


I'll be back with you shortly.


Thanks for your patience.

xavierjd and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

I belive that forging a prescription is a Class D felony. Specifically, Sec. 21a-266 of the Connecticut Code states:



A Class D felony is punishable by 1-5 yrs. in prison and a $5,000 fine.


It is VERY important that you get a public defender and meet with him/her to discuss the specific facts of your case. Because you have a clean record, your attorney may be able to try to work out a plea agreement to a lesser charge.


I wish you the best of luck.


I hope that you find this information useful, and that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I may receive credit for answering your question. Positive feedback, although not required is always appreciated. Also, a BONUS is also not required but is greatly appreciated.

Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.