How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4488
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a judges ruling always final I have extenuating circumstances

Resolved Question:

Is a judge's ruling always final? I have extenuating circumstances which were not fully addressed in court. This was for less than 20g mariquana possession, And also the rolling papers. I am officially disabled. The fine is out of my league. Also the officers were answering a call at my home about (my) possible suicide attempt the day after my divorce was final. (I DID ask them in, ergo the dilemma.) I was issued a ticket. I appeared today, April 1. I have been given 1 year's probation, a fine of approx. $400 plus court costs (about $85), and 30 hours of community service while I am unable to work (officially). Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.

You can file a Motion for Modification of Sentence with the court requesting that your sentence be reduced and explaining what part of it will be a hardship on you. You can also file an appeal, but it is doubtful you would prevail--if you agreed to plead no contest and the judge's sentence was within the legal limits, an appellate court probably will not disturb the judge's sentence on appeal. Your best bet is begging the judge for a modification with the Motion for Modification.

Good luck.
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you