How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31786
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a convicted felon and have been out of prison for 6 years.

This answer was rated:

I am a convicted felon and have been out of prison for 6 years. I am off of probation. I still have a considerable amount of restitution to pay. After I was released from prison I moved in with my girlfriend and we were married soonafter. We lived in her townhome (I had no ownership) and 2 years ago we purchased a larger townhome. We used the equity from HER townhome as a down payment. We tried to refinance a few months ago and were ready to close. When the title search was done they discovered a lien on the property for my federal restitution. I am looking for a federal restitution attorney and would like to get some advice. I had been told by other felons that a settlement could be reached by negotiation with the feds and/or the victim of the crime and that the lien could be removed. Please help,

It is true that you can negotiate with the government representative/attorney to settle the restitution. Usually, the government and victim aren't willing to agree to this unless you have a reasonable lump sum to pay at one time.


My suggestion is that you contact a local attorney and ask him/her to contact the prosecuting attorney's office and find out if the victim is interested in this. If so, you can begin negotiations.

Roger and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you