How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine has been married for over ten years and she

Customer Question

A friend of mine has been married for over ten years and she got a certified jury duty notice in her maiden name..... and the court is asking for a legal reason. She has gotten on or two notices in her maiden name and I don't think she has gone. Because it came in her maiden name is XXXXX XXXXX legal reason for her not to go? If NO then what can she do? Like everyone else she is unemployed, is in the process of filing for bankruptcy, has hip and back problems when she sits for periods of time. thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 8 years ago.
If she received notice, she needs to appear. The fact that it is in her maiden name, may be an error in the clerks system. It would not be a reason to get out of jury duty. Being unemployed and filing for bankruptcy would not be a valid reason to get out of jury duty. However, he hip and back problem would be, if she can not sit for long periods of time. She may be excused from serving but she still has to appear. If she can obtain a note from her doctor and submit it to the courts, they may allow her to not appear at this time. She should answer tot he notice and resolve the issue.

Related Criminal Law Questions