How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Swartz Your Own Question
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3152
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thomas Swartz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was approached by an officer back in Sept about a girl I

Customer Question

I was approached by an officer back in Sept about a girl I has slept with in july of last year. I gave a statement and he said he would be in touch. In December I was scheduled for a lie detector. They didnt complete it and said it might be mid feb before they could do it. It is now april should i assume they figured it out or she confessed to lieing or what.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.
Hello phldog1,

I would assume that the police are no longer interested in pursuing any criminal charges. I can not say this for certain. But the police generally take any sort of accusation of rape, sexual assault, etc. very seriously. And if you have not been contacted by them for a number of months, they probably concluded that there simply isn't enough evidence to pursue any sort of criminal case against you.

In any event, you should not speak to the police, or take a lie detector test, without consulting with and/or having an attorney present. You have the absolute right to refuse to answer any questions from the police. And anything you say to the police could potentially be used against you. So it is always wise not to answer any questions from the police without having an attorney.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay here is the issue I'm having. I have to fill out a backgroung check form for my 9 yr old softball team to help coach. Will this accusation be on it?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.
Unless you were arrested or charged with a crime, a background check will not turn up the accusation.