BizAttorney
BizAttorney, Attorney
Experience:  Over 12 years of business and legal experience.
13790199

What are the standards of criminal responsibility for

Customer Question

what are the standards of criminal responsibility for illinois
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  BizAttorney replied 8 years ago.
What is the crime?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it is research about the standards used to determine criminal responsibility for adults and juveniles in Illinois
The Illinois Criminal Code determines what the responsibility is for adults and juveniles.

This is a good website that goes over the specific crimes.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs2.asp?ChapterID=53

You have to pick a crime and then it will tell you what age you have to be to be convicted of that crime.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't need to know what age I need to know what standard a person must meet to be criminally responsible. If they are being assessed for criminal responsibility what factors are they needed to meet to be criminally responsible, specific to illinois
The starting point is age 18 for IL, however factors such as the seriousness of the crime and which crime is committed determine if children will be tried as adults. For example, if a 17 year old murders his parents, then he will be tried as an adult in IL.

However a 17 year old can have sex with an adult unless the relationship involves a "person in authority" such as a teacher, coach, counselor, etc. then the age is raised to 18.

So I can't answer your question until I know which crime you are talking about. 18 is the answer, but there are many caveats depending on the crime.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay one of our assignments is a 17yr old being being accused of four rapes of adult women
They would look at the crime (rape) and the severity of the crime (very severe) the age of the perpetrator (almost an adult) and how bad the crime is against society (very). This person would be tried as an adult in IL.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks
Anytime and I hope your report goes well. Please don't forget to hit the accept button.