How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident in one

This answer was rated:

I was charged with leaving the scene of an accident in one city. I pannicked after the accident as i suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I drove into the next town and pulled off the side of the road, I was followed by an unmarked car driven by a police officer off duty. I explained what happened less then 15 minutes after the accident happened. NO blood breathilizer or sobriety test thogh at least 3 police cruisers showed up where I pulled over.At the arraingment they told me I could go to jail or lose my license Icannot afford a lawyer. If I lose my licsence I will lose my job which involves some driving. Ihave a wife and three kids that depend on me having a job. what can I do

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:


  1. Were you actually involved in the accident personally?
  2. Could you briefly describe the extent of property damage and/or injury if known?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
YES I was involved in a two car accident with the two cars having a drivers front end side swipe. They have a witness who said it was me who went over the line in the road. my car was totalled. I dont know the exent of the others cars damage. no one was hurt as far as I know. no one died. I had my four year old son in the car with me. I did tell the police the truth when he pulled in beside me. about 15 minutes after accident THe policeman in west springfield told me to call westfield police in the mornging which I did. They conntacted westfield police that night , accident happened abou 6 pm. I do have police reports which I could fax you.thanks

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. I am sorry for this situation, and I hope that everything gets resolved appropriately in this matter.
  2. This matter is governed by Massachusetts General Laws chapter 90, § 24(2)(a), which provides in pertinent part: "Leaving the Scene of an Accident. Whoever fails to stop and/or make his name, address and license plate number known after colliding with or otherwise causing injury to any other vehicle or property is guilty of leaving the scene of an accident." The penalty is a jail sentence for not less than two weeks nor more than two years and a fine of not less than $20 nor more than $200. This applies to leaving the scene of property damage, with enhanced penalties for personal injuries and/or death, which fortunately does not seem to be the case here.
  3. With that in mind, the way the statute is written imposes on you an affirmative duty to stop and make known the pertinent information. I think that you will want to give serious consideration to negotiating a plea bargain. Your best chances are to be represented by a criminal defense attorney. Realizing what you stated about finances, since this misdemeanor charge can result in imprisonment upon conviction you will definitely want to request free state-appointed legal counsel. A public defender will be able to examine the merits of any available defenses, which unfortunately appear to be lacking under the circumstances leading me to mention a plea bargain.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you for your help
You are most welcome. It was my pleasure.


Take care and thanks again for using JustAnswer®.