How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are online payday loans legal in North Carolina?

Resolved Question:

Are online payday loans legal in North Carolina?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for using


In order for me to better serve you, please provide the following information:


Is there a particular company that you have in mind?


What would be the amount of the loan?



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I have some loans out and was told it was illegal for internet payday loan companies to lend to North Carolina residents. Just wondering what to do because they are taking all of my paycheck.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the info.


Payday loans are ILLEGAL in North Carolina. The legislature allowed the law allowing payday loans to expire in 2001. Thus, payday loans became illegal. Below is a website that should help you with questions, and even provides how to file a complaint with the Attorney General.


After reading the general information, click on "State Information" on the left hand side of the web page. Towards the bottom of the page is a map of the United States. Click on North Carolina, and you will find information pertinent to your state.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Should I pay them back or not?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 8 years ago.

I would contact the Attorney General regarding the lendors. Then, if appropriate file a complaint. You can ask the Attorney General's office if you can stop further payment on the loans, pending the outcome of your complaint.


Generally, a person/business cannot enter into an illegal contract. If done, it can make the contract void or voidable. Again, you may want to check with the Attorney General's office. Or, you can also seek the advice of an attorney who specializes in contract law. You can contact your local bar association for a referral. It will probably give you 2 or 3 names. You can contact the attorney(s) for a telephone consultation, or ask to make an appointment. Sometimes these consultations are free of charge.


If the contract is deemed illegal, it cannot be enforced.

xavierjd and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you