How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wallstreetesq Your Own Question
wallstreetesq, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 17252
Experience:  10 years Experience, have tried several high profile felony cases and misdemeanors
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
wallstreetesq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the victim in a case involving assault and battery with

Customer Question

I am the victim in a case involving assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.I stated that I do not want anything to happen to the instigator of the crime and refused to testify.There is also no physical evidence or pictures,just a written statement from me at the time it happened.He was ordered to stay away from me for at least a month and to have no contact whatsoever,or he could face 7 years in jail.This feels like it is punishing me as well,and I wanted to know if I can do anything to change this or make sure that it does not continue past the trial date coming up in a month.I am also pregnant with his child and would like to have him around.Does this make any difference at all?Is there any kind of hearing I could have to contest this?I am willing to do almost anything.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq replied 8 years ago.
You should make arrangements to discuss the the case with the DA and advise them yo do not want to proceed, also if you do not want to testify, they will have no case
wallstreetesq and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I get in touch with the DA? Does each city have one? Today was the pre-trial,and in a month from now,there is the trial. Can I talk to the DA now,or do I have to wait until the trial?Since I do not want to testify,why did that still result in such serious consequences for him,or will me not wanting to testify really only matter on the actual trial date?
Expert:  wallstreetesq replied 8 years ago.
The DA's office is the prosecutor for the town or city who is bringing the charges, if you are the victim and the complainant they should contact you, your best bet is to notify his lawyer or appear in Court and ask the clerks office where the prosecutors office is and make an appt.