How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in deep trouble

Customer Question

In 2005 and 2006 I created a fake schedule C. Even though I am a licensed real estate broker I never really worked as a broker, I created a loss to offset W2 income and pay less taxes. The IRS is now auditing my 2006 tax returns. I dont want to dig a deeper hole by giving them anything and I cant just ignore them. Theyre asking for proof of the schedule C by correspondence audit and im pretty sure they know that my tax returns are fraudulent. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- The best thing I can tell you is to get private legal counsel. Obviously this is a tax fraud situation and I agree that you are in trouble. You don't need to compound the trouble by giving any more information at this point.


It may be possible to file an amended return before you are charged with a crime but I can't say for certain that is the case. You also do not have to make any statements that would incriminate you so that is why I stress the importance of having counsel. We cannot represent clients from this website as it is for general information purposes only.


You need to get counsel right away because the longer you wait the more serious the problem becomes. You attorney can then deal with the IRS rather than you. You will probably have to sign an IRS POA in order for your attorney to be able to deal with the IRS.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you sir.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.
No problem and thanks for using our website. Remember - you NEVER have to talk to anyone with the government, especially if you may incriminate yourself. This has nothing to do with reading someone their rights because usually by that time it is too late! - Dave