How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if the police put the name Robert on my ticket instead

Resolved Question:

What if the police put the name Robert on my ticket instead of Rob? Also on the original ticket that I signed the officer did not put the DUI charge on it. He came back to the Dotox faciality a half hour later and I asked me if I would sign a new ticket. I told him I was not comfortable with that. He then asked to speak with me privately and basically told me it would only be worse if he had to fill out an amended report and that it would not matter if I signed it or not, it would just be easier on myself and him if I did, so I did. Will having the original ticket and the second one help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- The name difference won't matter since it could easily be amended and is not crucial to the case. The other issue may be relevant if you can show you were coerced however the officer could have easily amended the charge and signing a ticket is not necessary for the charges to be valid. The best advice I can give anyone in your position is to get a lawyer to represent you. A DUI is serious and if you can get it reduced it would be much better for you with respect to insurance, fines and many other factors.


Due to the confusion about the ticket it may give a lawyer some bargaining power to get a decent plea bargain. If you can't afford a lawyer you should ask the court to appoint one for you.


David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Dave Kennett and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you