How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son was sexually assaulted by our neighbor 1 year ago.

Resolved Question:

my son was sexually assaulted by our neighbor 1 year ago. we filed a report with police at the time, we did according to the process. The city where we lived, did not do anything to the criminal. The neighbors more likely don't know about this. the police kept it quiet. my question is? is it right for me to write a letter and visit the neighbors to let them know about it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you. So, if I suggest something you already tried, it's because I couldn't see part of your original question. Just write back to me and let me know.


Answer: You can tell your neighbors, but I would avoid putting something in writing. Either way, the alleged assailant can sue you for defamation. (Your defense would be "truth").


Meanwhile, although you didn't ask, I suggest that you make an appointment to talke with the prosecutor's office that works with your local police department. You have every right to ask why nothing is being done on the case. (It may be that it's too hard to prove).


Also, just want to let you know that you have the right to sue the alleged assailant as a civil matter. Talk to a few personal injury attorneys for more information. Some PI attorneys specialize in sexual assault of minors.


I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please "accept" my answer


Ask for me by name next time you visit I'll remember you!


Jane Doe Deer





Jane Doe Deer and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you jane. i will proceed as advised.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.
You're welcome. But please be aware that I can't give you legal "advice" here. I can only give you the information and options.... Cool

Related Criminal Law Questions