How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in San Diego, was arrested in Oceanside for DUI & sentenced

This answer was rated:

I live in San Diego, was arrested in Oceanside for DUI & sentenced for DUI on Dec 08 2009 in No. County Court. My Atty never provided any paperwork, and now I find I have a Bench Warrant out for my arrest. I have no car, so I need to fiind out how to handle this in San Diego County, and what I can expect as far as penalties &/or Jail time. I had a 2.3 BAc and was given 13days Com Svc, plus all other programs. Is that now gone? Will I do time? I is my first offense
If your attorney has never provided you with any paperwork as required, you first need to submit to the court and provide that as your defense in not showing up. You also need to file a complaint against your attorney with the State Bar's Office of Disciplinary Counsel for malpractice. Chances are that the court will forgive you if you do not delay in getting in there to work this problem out.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What di I file with the court? Is this someting I can handle on my own?
You can always represent yourself, but it is never advisable in these matters because the court will hold you to the same rules as a regular attorney and you could make some very serious mistakes that could hurt you more than help you. You do not file anything, you surrender to the court and inform the court that the reason you did not show up as ordered is that your attorney never informed you and beg for forgiveness.

Also, if you read the above answer, the place to ask questions until you understood is in here, not in feedback.