Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

what is the penalty for having a stolen gun in my posesion

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
florida first offense no other felonys was also charged bwith possesion of marawyana over 20 grams
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

Possession of a stolen firearm is a serious charge in Florida, as the law basically combines the concepts of illegal possession of a firearm with possession of stolen property, both of which can be felony charges. If a person is found to possess a stolen firearm, he or she will be charged with a third-degree felony at a minimum, and perhaps a second or even first-degree felony with the presence of certain facts that work against the defendant.

Third Degree Felony - A third degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison, five years probation, and a $5,000 fine.

Second Degree Felony - A second-degree felony is punishable by up to fifteen years in prison, fifteen years probation, and a $10,000 fine.

First Degree Felony - A first-degree felony is punishable by up to thirty years in prison, thirty years probation, and a $10,000 fine.

Because of the marijuana possession, you would likely be looking at a second degree felony.

My suggestion is to get a criminal law attorney to help you get the marijuana charge dropped and keep the matter a third degree felony, and see what kind of deal you can cut with the prosecutor.