Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what is the statue of limitations for embezzlement in the state

Customer Question
of Virginia...
what is the statue of limitations for embezzlement in the state of Virginia
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/1/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer
Misdeamnor embezzlement has a one yeal SOL in Virginia. Felony embezzlement does not have a SOL.
Ellen, Lawyer
What is the diffence btwwen the two.

Virginia Code §18.2-111 deems embezzlement to be larceny.

Virginia Code §§18.2-95 to 18.2-96 defines whether the act is grand larceny or petit larceny. Grand larceny is an unclassified felony. Petit larceny is a class 1 misdemeanor offense. The main distinction is the value of the item taken. Larceny of an item with a value of $200 or more is considered grand larceny in Virginia while a value of less than $200 is considered petit larceny.

§ 18.2-111. Embezzlement deemed larceny; indictment.

If any person wrongfully and fraudulently use, dispose of, conceal or embezzle any money, bill, note, check, order, draft, bond, receipt, bill of lading or any other personal property, tangible or intangible, which he shall have received for another or for his employer, principal or bailor, or by virtue of his office, trust, or employment, or which shall have been entrusted or delivered to him by another or by any court, corporation or company, he shall be guilty of embezzlement. Proof of embezzlement shall be sufficient to sustain the charge of larceny. Any person convicted hereunder shall be deemed guilty of larceny and may be indicted as for larceny and upon conviction shall be punished as provided in § 18.2-95 or § 18.2-96.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Ellen, Lawyer