How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was under home confinement for 16 months before

This answer was rated:

My husband was under home confinement for 16 months before he signed a plea agreement of over 2 years. This was a federal crime, as his wife I have power of attorney. Can I petition the judge and see if the time served at home for 22 months with a tracker on can be deducted from his sentence, and what are the chances of it happening?

You can use the POA to retain an attorney to petition the court on your husband's behalf. You cannot act for your husband in court regardless of your POA. Only attorneys can represent a person other than himself.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can my husband have the time he was under home confinement deducted from his overall sentence?

That will be the judge's decision however it would not be unusual for the time to be deducted.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

is there a difference between house arrest and home confinement? He did have a tracker on his ankle and had curfew, is this considered house arrest?


Yes it is the same.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Last question. lol If I have my attorney petition the court can the prosecutors appeal the judges decision if he allows the time to be deducted, and what are the chances of the prosecutors doing so?

No the prosecutors cannot appeal on the basis of time being deducted.
Ellen and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

sorry another question what does the cost usually run for having an attorney petition the judge for something like this? My mother-n-law wants to know


Sorry. Just received your follow up question. I would guess in the 1500 range.