How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file to restore my gun rights

Customer Question

How do I file to restore my gun rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in and what was your conviction for?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Iowa and it was over 7 years ago for my last conviction
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.

The date of your conviction does not matter. The type of conviction does.


If you were convicted of a forcible felony, a felony involving a drug crime, a felony weapons violation, or were 17 or younger and charged with a felony or aggravated misdemeanor against a person, then you cannot restore your gun rights. (Iowa Stat. 914.7).


If your felony wasn't as described above, then you can petition for restoration of your citizenship rights at any time after the conviction. (Iowa Stat. 914.6).


You can get the restoration or rights forms at the following link:




The above information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!