How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CALawyer Your Own Question
CALawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1655
Experience:  Attorney at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CALawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i had money taken out of my bank account without my permission

Customer Question

if i had money taken out of my bank account without my permission like i never had knowledge of it and the bank only gives me back so much how would i go about getting the rest back because it is a large amount that ended up being taken
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.
Who took the money out? What were the circumstances?

What state is this in?

How much is still missing?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
about 24,000 is still missing different companies for different things like mortgages and stuff like that i don't know who took it out but theres some names on the paperwork the bank gave me like companies i never heard of and bills for houses I never knew about and the state is michigan
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.
Do you have homeowners insurance? Does it cover fraud/id theft?

Do you have any credit cards with fraud insurance?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm in the military I never owned a house, the only credit card I have is through the military
Expert:  CALawyer replied 8 years ago.
The reason I ask about insurance is because many homeowners and renters policies cover this type of loss and that would be the easiest way to collect.

The other way to collect is to find out who did this and sue them. However, if a person is committing crimes like this, it may not be worth it as they might not have anything to collect a judgment from.

In any event, you can report this all to the authorities and if they are able to find and prosecute who did this, you can apply to the prosecuting office (district attorney, state attorney, etc.) to pursue a victim restitution order for you that would require the defendant to pay you back.

If this information was helpful, please click
ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!