How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Len Your Own Question
Len, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 444
Experience:  15 years practice in criminal and employment law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Len is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was to be released from Farmington correctional center

Resolved Question:

My son was to be released from Farmington correctional center the day before Thanksgiving. He had completed all but 1 part of the mosop program. His last counselor had him termanited for lack of progress. He was doing fine up to that point. He's white, she's black. There's the problem. I've talked to 4 young men who are out on parole. They all say the same thing. She's extreamly prejudice. They all tell me if it wasn't for my sons help they could not have completed the program. That doesn't sound like lack of progress to me. We need help. Any suggestions ? XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Len replied 8 years ago.



I'm sure that you have discovered that your son's incarceration is similar to being behind the old Berlin wall.


The truth is that the department of corrections is essentially a hands off institution. You are not likely to receive much help from the outside. I would tell you otherwise, but it will probably make matters much worse to attack the counselor at this point.


Your son needs to be overly cooperative and just finish the requirements. After he is released is the time to file official complaints. Now, on the other hand, should it appear absolutely hopeless to satisfy the detention authorities, you might consider hiring an attorney to force an internal review. Even then, the facility may simply ignore an attorney.


Here's the problem: however long he was sentenced is the amount of time that the facility can keep him, period. Parole and any early release are matters left entirely up to the department of corrections. You might possibly gain some input through the parole board, but again, I would use the services of an attorney.


I know that is not what you probably wanted as an answer. However, as with any similar problem, I do recommend that you sit down with a good criminal lawyer and review all of the documentation you may have. There is no substitute for that.





Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He should have served 7 years of his 10 year sentence. Now that he's benn terminated from the program he has to go 3 more years. Only in missouri can you commit murder & be back on the streets in 3 to 5 years. A sex crime 10 years? Somethings not right.
Expert:  Len replied 8 years ago.

Well, if the alternative he is looking at is doing the full stretch, then it really won't matter. This being the case, I would contact an attorney to start making inquiries and complaints with the facility warden and the parole board.




Len and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you